Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Art outside the box

So I was looking through my Google Reader of design blog that I follow and I found this website http://alexameade.com/portfolio.html while I was reading 2Modern Blog. Basically the art blew me away...

Alexa Meade is a 23-year-old artist based in Washington, DC. She is represented by Irvine Contemporary.

Jaimie by Alexa Meade

The Trap by Alexa Meade
Taken from her website: Alexa Meade has innovated a Trompe-L’Oeil painting technique that can perceptually compress three-dimensional space into a two-dimensional plane. Her work is a fusion of installation, painting, performance, photography, and video art.


Rather than painting a representational picture on a flat canvas, Meade paints her representational image directly on top of her three-dimensional subjects. The subject and its representation become one and the same. Essentially, her art imitates life on top of life.

The Trap Installation at the Saatchi Gallery in London
'Jaimie' in Process
Double take by Alexa Meade

So let me explain the pictures - her paintings - are real people, covered in paint, that look like a 2-dimensional painting. Awesome! I think that her work is fascinating! Check out her website and Flickr page and see more of her works!

No comments:

Post a Comment