Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ethics and other things that inspire

Today in Business Practices in Interior Design we discussed Ethics. I thought I'd share a couple of points from class:


There are four types of situations in business that bring up ethical questions:

-Competition: Competition between other businesses and during  a slow economy can cause owners, managers and employees to stretch ethical boundaries. Clients can also put you in the position of questionable ethics – what do you do? Designers are required to disclose all types of compensation from the project to clients.

-Conflict of Interest: Definition: A person’s incompatibility between their private interest and their public duty. Putting personal gain above the good of the person or organization that the designer represents is Unethical behavior!

-Misuse of proprietary information: Definition: Proprietary info: a wide variety of data, graphics, designs, or business information that belongs to a person or business. – this includes client data, discount policies, pricing policies etc. How a business is run. As designers, we can become privy to a lot of financial and personal information about our clients – that is proprietary information.

-Employee theft: Technically, taking office supplies is employee theft, but it can go much further than that. – Taking money and goods from the sales floor or warehouse. ‘Borrowing’ and ‘Forgetting’, taking extra copies of such as AutoCAD for use on home computer, and side business.

I really liked reading the IIDA and the ASID Code of Ethics.

So that was a bit of inspiration from class. ^_^

Today's visual inspiration comes from a little keepsake that I brought back from Thailand:
I loved living in the UK - hence the watercolor of Beverley's Market Cross, and the double decker bus ^_^

I am always inspired by hand carved and hand crafted items

Bulgarian Folk Art

I just remembered my 'Love Spoon"  I bought last time I was in Wales, UK (it looks like #10):
Check out: http://www.thelovespoongallery.com 

1 comment:

  1. i've heard about love spoons! it is the coolest story! i love this blog!!

    ReplyDelete