Thursday, May 19, 2011

Week 2: Day 3 and Day 4

Day 3: Wednesday -

I started off the day by heading to the Sherwin-Williams in Midvale for the demonstration. It was pretty awesome. They had examples of the different colors and finishes that could be used on concrete. I was particularly impressed when they started griding down the concrete floor in the store room then sprayed the acetone +color ... and then the different protective coats - wax, sealant etc. What was really fun was the Rep that came to R&S on Monday was the same Rep that came to my Business Practices class the last week of school. Nice little connection there - and next time he comes to R&S he is going to bring an extra copy of the catalogs etc for me :) Sweet! I enjoyed the demonstration. It is really amazing what can be done with concrete. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of concrete but I think I am coming around. As for the decorative treatments... I still am trying to wrap my head around them in terms of LEED. I'm not convinced that they could help earn any Indoor Environmental Quality points... but I will have to look into it some more.

Once I got back to our showroom I was able to make a bunch of phone calls and place an order for the wall covering that I picked out last week and got the memo samples of. I talked to a gal in Memphis, TN. I love placing orders because everyone I have talked to so far had darling accents!

One of our designers came in today. She was there when Unique came to pick up some furniture to deliver, and move 3 of the 9 sofas in storage up to the showroom. Basically, we rearranged the whole showroom. It was pretty intense. I love the new sofas! They will only be here for a couple of weeks because they are part of the Colonial Court project. We needed the sofas out of the storage so we would have enough room for the large Riverside delivery that is coming on Friday morning.

To end off the day I got to answer the phone calls that kept coming, and try my hand at some flower arranging.


Day 4 - Thursday

Today started off like any other day. I spent a while looking for possible large art pieces for my Boss's client. I finally found a couple of gorgeous landscapes from Wendover Art. I answered a few phone calls and I had to move a sofa and place a bucket down to catch the drip. ... the showroom roof was damaged a while back in a bad wind storm... all this crazy rain we have been getting is not helping.

Then we got a phone call from the delivery company. The Riverside shipment which was supposed to be coming Friday morning... would be arriving in 30 minutes.. oh and by the way there's only one guy in the truck so please arrange for someone to help him unload. (This is the second time in two weeks when the delivery guy has asked for help.... forgive me but isn't that kind of expected of the delivery company to make sure the pieces are delivered and unloaded - everything taken care of?) Well, that would be all and good except that the semi was bringing two orders in the same truck - several of the boxes needed to be brought up to the showroom so we could put together the furniture to be delivered on Saturday.... but of course that was too much to ask. So after we provided help to unload all the boxes, we got to go on a scavenger hunt to find the boxes to take up the steep driveway to the showroom. So let's just say I got my exercise for the day... and that a dolly is one of the best tools ever invented! (Thankfully the rain stopped during this part!) We managed to get all the boxes needed, and put together a table and 2 chairs..... tomorrow we will have to put everything else together - the rest of the chairs and the barstools.

Truth be told, I love getting my hands dirty and doing work like that. Last summer I would spend lots of time organizing our office, or down in the storage rooms and get covered head to toe in dust - but it was all in good fun. So today I got thoroughly dirty, and got to build things. I think that is what I would call a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment